Sunday, September 6

What I did on my summer vacation

Labor Day! Summer's over. I have a few more weeks before the quarter begins but the time is filled with an all-day meeting, orientation, and getting ready for all of the above.

I managed to use 5 weeks of vacation this summer. I knew it was possible. Not much me time but good to have that balance lowered. At the end, no one wishes they could have spent more time at work.

I made small projects this summer. All three girls are on their own in apartments shared with other people. Mitered kitchen towels! Here is one that I got a picture of before sending it on its way:



DD#3 wrote on her list of things to pack: the towel my mom made me. I asked her to take a picture and I need a picture of DD#2's towel also.

I have re-named this file on Ravelry, "Mitered kitchen towel collection."

This looks big but it only took about 3 days, crocheting in my sit-down time:



One of my 5 weeks was spent driving DD#3 to NY - that left an empty bedroom! I found a partial afghan in the closet when I cleared out the detritus to make room for the stash of yarn previously living in the corner of our bedroom. Lion's Brand Homespun, seemed to be short 2 skeins so I re-worked it with the unrelated 2 skeins in the bag. Double-stranded with a size Q hook. This yarn is just an optical illusion. As long as the yarn is in the same family, you can mix and match without worrying too much about stark contrast. This is my first addition to the gift pile.

Then there is Ishbel.



Ishbel is the perfect scarf but I am not in love with the final trim. I am very happy to have finished this, with its own secret ingredient at the end, and I wear it a lot, but when I tried to make another one, my hands refused to move forward after getting to 173 stitches. So we have "Variation on Ishbel."



The body was mistakenly knit in garter stitch but to the specifications of Ishbel. The trim is from Gossamer Webs, a knit-on trim that really is flawless - the technique, not the knitting. I will have to use graph paper to plot out the center medallion as the last phase.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?